1. When the subject is singular, the verb must be singular.
- Zuraidah plays netball for her school team.
- The village headman cycles around the village every evening.
2. When the subject is plural, the verb must be in plural.
- My brothers eat their lunch at the stall in front of the school.
- I cycle around the village every evening.
3. Two or more singular subjects joined by ‘and ’ take a plural verb.
- Kamalia and Zarina eat at home everyday.
- Zul and Malik cycle around the village every evening.
4. When the subject is a word like everyone, anyone, no one and each, the verb is singular.
- Has anyone taken my bag by mistake?
- No one is allowed to go into the room without his permission.
5. Uncountable nouns /Collective nouns take singular verb.
- The air in
is fresh and clean. Cameron Highland
- A band of musicians is performing in the auditorium.