These adverbs tell how/ describe the verbs.
Most of these adverbs are made by adding -ly to the adjectives.
- Mark spoke clearly.
- Sue danced gracefully.
- They cheered happily.
- The children crossed the road carefully.
- The car skidded dangerously.
- Babies cry loudly when they are hungry.
Adverbs of Place
These adverbs tell where something happens.
- Sandy is studying upstairs.
- Come, let’s eat here.
- Dad is jogging around the field.
- There are balloons flying everywhere!
- Go to bed right now!
- The chairs are over there.
Adverbs of Time
These adverbs tell when or for how long. They can be single words or phrases.
- I’m going to Redang today.
- Go to sleep immediately.
- We will watch the sunrise at dawn.
- The family has not seen him since June.
- Refreshments will be served during the break.
- The team has arrived already.
Adverbs of Frequency
These adverbs tell how often something happens.
- You should exercise daily.
- We usually read after dinner.
- I’ve never seen snow.
- Do you eat here often?
- Lina seldom comes here.
- Mr. Lee travels to China yearly.
Adverbs of Degree
These adverbs tell how much, in what degree or to what extent.
- The weather was quite warm.
- This is very comfortable.
- Tan Leong is tall enough to play basketball.
- It was almost dawn when we arrived at the mountain peak.
- This is too sweet! Could you please add some water?
- The desert is extremely dry.
Position of Adverbs
Adverbs can be placed:
1. before or after verbs or after the object if there is one
- She quietly passed the note.
- She passed the note quietly.
2. before other adverbs
- They cleaned the car rather carelessly.
3. at the beginning or end of sentences
- Quietly, she passed the note.
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
Test yourself: Figure out which one is the adverb in each sentence below and what kind of adverb it is.
- Kent did his homework carelessly.
- We start our vacation next week.
- Farah read the poem in a very clear voice.
- The accident happened during the afternoon.
- The man walked very slowly.
- My cousin arrived yesterday.
- I left my schoolbag in the car.
- It stopped raining for a few minutes.
- Dad goes jogging regularly.
- We eat our meals in the dining room.
I'll upload the exercise later.